Health is the most important thing in our life. If we are not healthy, we cannot enjoy our life and the people around us. But unfortunately being healthy can become quite expensive.
If you’re on a budget (like me!), you can learn about ways how to make being healthy less expensive. After all, good health is something everyone should have, no matter their income.
So how can I be healthy on a budget?
We are what we eat. And as such, food is a fundamental factor of being healthy. We need a balanced nutrition in order to function properly. Eating healthy food is possible even when on a budget by using a few simple methods:
- Look for cheap healthy food – You don’t have to buy the most expensive items to be healthy. Look for cheaper yet still healthy alternatives.
- Drink water – Cheaper than soft drinks (sodas) and MUCH more healthy.
- Dine at home – There are plenty of healthy recipes out there. You can look for free, delicious, healthy recipes on the internet or on Pinterest. No need to buy expensive cooking books or dine at costly healthy restaurants.
- Use leftovers – Look for healthy leftover recipes to reduce your waste and your spending.
- Plan – Planning your meals ahead and mixing your routine are key to keeping a healthy diet. Planning your meals ahead also lets you reduce waste and plan your leftover meals.
If you’re on a budget, you might not want to spend hundreds of dollars per month on gym subscriptions. Luckily, there are ways how you can exercise without spending a dime.
- Walk, jog, run – You don’t need to spend any money at all. Just grab your running shoes and go outside. That easy.
- Use outdoor gyms or parks – Who says you need fancy equipment to exercise? Outdoor gyms, if you have any near you, are great as you get the benefits of the gym while enjoying some fresh air. I f you don’t have any outdoor gyms nearby, how about using a playground to exercise?
- Do budget friendly exercises – Squats and lunges don’t really need any equipment. Or maybe try using low cost equipment.
- Budget fitness clothing – Clothes are also a big part of an exercising routine. For budget fitness clothing try Sportsdirect (they are my go-to fitness store).
- Side note: If you don’t particularly like exercising, you can try these fun activities that let you exercises without even realising!
Being healthy doesn’t mean you won’t get sick, although it does lower the possibility. But if you feel a little under the weather, you will need medicine. Fortunately, there are ways how you can save money when buying medicine.
- Make sure you have insurance – In countries like USA, getting insurance isn’t really an option. But even if you have free medical care, you might want to consider getting insurance. Yes, you are going to have to pay regular fees. But without it you might end up having to pay much more than that, as not every procedure will be free. So paying regularly can actually save you thousands. Better safe than sorry.
- Buy generic medication – You can buy generic medications from Walmat or Target at around $4. Ask your doctor about generic brand medications when needed.
- Join a prescription savings program – These types of programs give you discounts when you purchase medicines. Just show them your card and you’ll pay less. Please note that you should always read the terms and conditions carefully, and always compare pharmacies’ prices.
You can always save money when buying anything, even health items, both in store and online (read 10 ways how to save money when shopping online). There are a few general rules you can use anywhere.
- Use coupons – Use sites like Vouchercloud and Retailmenot to find discounts for almost every retailer.
- Use cash back sites – Some sites will give you a percentage of the money you spent back. Sign up with sites like Topcashback and Ebates and get your money back!
- Visit the discount aisle – Some store have day sales, so always look for the discount aisle to get the best offers. Or you can ask the employees about the next discount day and be prepared.
Getting healthy is a process. It requires hard work, determination and motivation. But it is definitely worth it in the long run.
Rest assured that being healthy on a budget is possible if you follow the above tips.
How do you stay healthy on a budget? Do you have any special tips? Share with us in the comments!