No matter how much money you are willing to spend, budgeting while traveling is essential. It will help you conserve your money and lets you travel for longer periods of time. Budgeting does not get in the way of your experience. Actually, if you use it right, you can get the real feel of living like a local. Choose how much of a budget traveler and go from there.
There are several way how you can save money from every side of the trip. Read on for the ultimate guide for budget traveling.
Tips For Budget Travel:
- Some places are more expensive than others. For example Cambodia is way cheaper than France. So start planning your trip by choosing the optimal destination for your budget.
- Try traveling in the shoulder/off-season. This way you get lower prices and less people. Just because there are less people does not mean there is nothing to do!
- Stay in hostels, Airbnb or couchsurf instead of hotels.
- House-sit – You get FREE accommodation this way.
- Book accommodation in a near-by locality instead of the city center.
- Find the cheapest prices on sites like Skyscanner.
- Use your credit card to pay bills in order to get miles.
- Travel with a hand-luggage only – Saves you money AND time.
- Eat the hostel breakfast or find a bakery
- Lunch on street food. Great taste and value!
- Look for restaurants filled with locals. This way you avoid tourist traps and chances are you’ll get value for money.
- Don’t miss out on the native cuisine but once in a while you can cook a quick meal yourself.
- Eat what’s in season.
- Watch street performances
- Visit free entrance attractions.
- Take a free walking tour – This is quite common in big cities nowadays. Try asking the locals for more info.
- Buy city tourist cards for best value deals.
- Walk, walk, walk – It’s free and you get to see the place. (Plus everybody needs to burn some calories while traveling, no ?).
- Renting a car might be worth it if you’re traveling in a group.
- Tourist cards may also offer public transport deals.
- Buy an all pass metro/subway ticket.
- Do not, I repeat, Do not call a cab – Taxis are the biggest rip-offs ever invented.
- Always look for sales.
- Only buy unique items preferably from the cheapest countries.
- Haggle and bargain.
- Look for tax refund in your country – some countries refund taxes paid on items bought in other certain countries.
- One thing about insurance – always look for the best possible one but DO NOT try and save money. You can not predict what’s going to happen, so better safe than sorry.
- Change currencies with the best exchange rates possible.
- Use ATMs instead of travelers cheques.
So these are ways to save money while traveling. In order to prolong your journey, you can save money or make more on your tip – it is certainly possible.
If you have anymore tips to share with us, feel free to do so in the comments section!